Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Getting Closer to Camel's Milk Cheese







Ok...I found the Mauritian dairy that produces the Camel Dairy Products (among other) and the issue seems to be one of logistics and government regulations. Not alot of proper refrigeration facilities at Nouakchott airport, in Mauritius. The milk has a shelf life of 8-10 days if kept refrigerated. So you'd lose a few days to travel in the import process. Basically, I guess you'd drink it right off the plane or something.


The cheese, however, seems to hold up well. The milk doesn't respond like cow's milk does to churning, and typical cheesemaking technique so they've added a curdling agent to turn it into cheese and apparently they've been quite successful. I also found an article or two mentioning how it's coming to NYC in March/ April 08. But, so far, I haven't found anything. Now I HAVE to try it.


Let me know what you find. Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

The Lovely and Talented said...

I'm glad you liked it. Perhaps you know where they hide the cheese?