Wednesday, May 28, 2008

They flushed WHAT down the toilet?!!

You know, I didn't originally intend to spend my time here ranting about being a stepparent. However, writing about being a stepparent has forced me to really examine the role I play in my own aggravation. By writing about it, I can reflect on her choices and how to better guide her. Blogging allows me to take a step back and release some of that bile that might otherwise cause me to burst an intestine. (again.) It gives me a safe place to put those thoughts of me repeatedly slamming her head in the car door.

But I digress.... I originally intended to write about my work and the random actions of others which might inspire and confound the chance reader of my humble offerings.

Currently, I am, among other things, a Property Manager. Much of my life, I have been in management positions, because I am very good at motivating people to care about doing a good job, thereby increasing productivity/performance. It's gratifying and I like telling people what to do and having them do it. I'm not real big on "no" (grounds for termination) and I make it as rewarding as possible for people who say "yes".

Being a Property Manager allows you to 1) get to tell people what to do, 2) get an upclose and personal look at the creepy things that other humans do when they think people won't notice.

I have a property which has 10 floors. Of those 10 floors, the first two are "commercial tenants" (offices, stores and such) and Floors 3 and higher, have 68 apartments and are all run by a company which specializes in temporary Corporate Housing. Basically, business people come and stay for a month or more in a fully furnished apartment in the city, with some amenities and features of a luxury apartment building. Some amenities. Not all. Some.

I manage the property itself so I receive requests for service for things that the building would maintain...(Lightbulbs in the hallway, paint/repair, plumbing)...and the Corporate Housing company manages most things inside the apartments, (Lightbulbs inside the apartment,Furniture, Cleaning). It's a synergistic relationship that works pretty well. However, no ONE thing breaks at one time. Bunches of things break at a time. This last week was "TOILET WEEK".

Please be reminded that these apartments are APARTMENTS, not hotel rooms. They are supplied with plungers, JUST LIKE AT HOME. For whatever reason, I got tons of "the toilet is BROKEN" calls last week. It's hard to "BREAK" a toilet. Not impossible. But difficult. And what constitutes "broken"? Not flushing? Leaking? Cracked?

Request 1: Tenant in room 407 complains "TOILET IS BROKEN/ WATER NOT GOING DOWN".

Response: I dispatch doorman to see if perhaps he can assist guest by demonstrating plunger technique. (Usually that's all it takes.)

Resolution: After 5 minutes of plunger manipulation, doorman removes from the toilet, the cardboard carton from a box of toothpaste! Tenant claims he did not put it in the bowl. Of course he didn't. I'm sure the toilet came like that.


Request 2: Tenant complains that TOILET IS BROKEN/ WATER NOT GOING DOWN

Response and Resolution: Doorman visits guest and flushes toilet. (No plunger required)

Request 3: The brand new second floor tenant in their newly renovated space (entire floor is a commercial tenant) complains that all TOILETS ARE BACKING UP AND FILLING UP WITH WATER AND EXCREMENT!

Response: Emergency plumber dispatched, locates major clog just below second floor. Opens up pipes and removes several Corporate Housing Apartment's Washcloths!

Apparently, tenants or cleaning staff felt it was OK to flush the washcloths down the bowl, which lodged themselves just below the second floor and basically,everything that went down the waste pipe was backing up into first available floor .....(second floor tenant)

I don't know what's specifically wrong with people. But everyday brings a new surprise. I no longer care for surprises.

2 comments:

twobuyfour said...

Never underestimate the stupidity of the average person. I always assume everyone is an idiot, but I'm open to having my mind changed. Most of the time people demonstrate in a relatively short time that they are not actually idiots. The others... they don't disappoint me because my assumptions were accurate to begin with.

The Lovely and Talented said...

You know, I was a bartender/ restauranteur for a very long time, and for awhile I thought I'd seen everything. I was wrong.

You ever want a laugh...google "The butt page"...actual case histories of foreign objects lodged you know where, which required medical assistance to retrieve. The Xrays are amazing, and the stories of how the objects got up there, well...hahaha.