Thursday, May 29, 2008

Brain Cramp

I thought I'd have all this nifty stuff to tell you, and now that twobuyfour has "hyped" me, I figured I'd trot out all the goods. That being said, after two days of blogging...I have "writer's block". I suppose it happens to the best of them...but if you think that having nothing to say, would keep me from talking?...ha...you've much to learn.

I can talk the ears off a brass monkey.

So...oh I know....Ok..today at work...I work with this really nice girl, whom I'll call "Susie" (not her real name). I also work with a very cranky, but kindhearted broker"Mr. X", who has a sense of humor so dry, well...he's not funny.
Mr. X likes to challenge us, with vocabulary words, word problems, hypothetical situations, etc... and he has been directing more of this attention to Susie lately. When the wordplay isn't going his way, he switches to nonsensical arguments, and uses college words he's fairly sure one won't understand... and well, like siblings who start out "playing"...it just leads to trouble and someone ends up hurt...

Mr. X is well into his 70's and started a "Who's on First?" conversation. "Susie" is Chinese born American and under 30 and had never heard of Abbott and Costello (as many people in generation Y or whatever haven't...), therefore was not understanding the reference. Mr. X tried to tease her about it, but got quite obnoxious in his attempt to challenge her, and became offensive. He called her "culturally inept" and other such ridiculous terms and after a moment or two of this, she became offended. I tried to show her the Who's on First? routine on YouTube, but of course, she was no longer interested, because instead of teasing her, it really just became verbal assault.

I tried to intervene. First playfully, then more strenuously, because I could see that these two were not understanding each other. He went back into his office, she became gradually irate and then stormed out, claiming she was going home, possibly quitting and if so, suing us. (specifically him.)

This all happened in under a minute. And while she DID come back, and upon being told of his "faux pas", Mr. X fell all over himself apologizing...

But the stench of the episode lingers. She is in a violently bad mood. (I don't exactly blame her)
I have tried a bit to cheer her up, but I have also found that people in a really bad mood, don't typically want you cheering them up or hugging them. So we sit, in awkward post blowup civility.

She still looks like she might quit. I'm just gonna sit here and mind my own business.

3 comments:

twobuyfour said...

She should be fired for her sociologic ineptitude. And fined.

That being said, one should school oneself in the funniest acts of all time. Not to mention the best music, art, sports stars, politicians, actors, authors, and a bunch of stuff I can't think of.

I certainly understand a person getting their feelings hurt by needling that goes too far. But sometimes it's difficult for somebody who has lived a long life and seen a lot of things to realize that subsequent generations are largely indifferent to the stepping stones which preceded todays socially significant people and styles.

Did that sentence make any sense at all?

The Lovely and Talented said...

Yes. Even after I was waving wildly at him and begging him to "STOP"...he was oblivious and continued to harp on her. He is fascinated by her "Chineseness" and frequently holds her responsible for all of Asia's actions. (that's alot of countries.)

She didn't quit, thank God. I'd have to do her crap and there's NO WAY I'd be able to do it. He apologized (or attempted to) profusely, and told me "Well I joke with YOU and you don't get mad..." and I said, "That's because I don't listen to you much ..."

The Lovely and Talented said...

And dude, she's CHINESE, born well into the 70's. She'd have no frame of reference. No REASON to know the sketch. He is culturally OBSOLETE (even though I liked his attempt at "Who's on First?") but it was his harrassment of her, basically calling her stupid and incompetent that she didn't appreciate...as well as his refusal to STOP once asked to. She was starting to make jokes today, so I think I can count on seeing her Monday (Although she might not come in, she said.)